Monday, April 26, 2010

Rejection...

So I've had a couple of ideas rejected recently, and while it is disappointing to hear that those particular projects did not fit with the publisher I submitted them to, it has me wondering how designs get evaluated by editors. I would love to be a fly on the wall in someone's office during the decision process, can you imagine? I expect that every publication has different priorities and requirements, but the real fun must come down to visual appeal. (I would imagine, but I'm not an editor...)

Anyway, the "boy" has become a bit needier in recent weeks than he was at the very beginning, so my knitting and "concentrating" time has been severely curtailed. I keep thinking of things that I might submit to somewhere but then consider the possibility of being accepted and become overwhelmed because I can't actually do the knitting and working out the pattern, etc. Additionally, while waiting (for the considerably shorter length of time than most publishers take) to hear back about my submissions I considered whether I really liked the whole concept of sending my projects out into the ether with the vague hope that I would hear back someday (I have heard of certain places getting back to designers a year after receiving the submission) that I needed to get knitting on the long since forgotten project because it is due in a short period of time and the (quite small) check will be in the mail. hmmm. I guess I am still quite amateur as I think of things I want to knit, or design features I want to use, or even "architectural" shaping or  techniques I want to explore, I want to do it now, as I am working it out in my mind, while everything is fresh, and before someone else publishes something too similar! Clearly professionals send out sketches and thoughts and are able to let go until/if/when someone offers to pay them to do the project. I am going to explore more in the self publishing arena, though that too has drawbacks in that I will need to do all the work myself, and apparently, my time is now (almost entirely) occupied with feeding and keeping happy a tiny person as well his 2 older sisters. I am thinking of posting pictures of WIPs since they won't be published anywhere secretive, perhaps some feedback or suggestions on directions to go with one in particular might be interesting...

No comments: