Thursday, January 7, 2010

Publishing!

omg, omg, omg, I'm going to be published! For money! (based on download fees, rather than upfront compensation. (Fine by me, I keep all the rights, etc...) Oh, and YARN SUPPORT!!!!!! (cue angelic singing...)

Getting this great news so quickly after I submitted my design left me feeling excited and happy of course, but it also forced me to consider that I had spent the last couple of years being awfully foolish about not submitting designs to publications or even self publishing. I have had the fear of hearing "Who the he** are you? Why would we want anything to do with you? Of course you can't have yarn for that, don't ever contact us again." run so deeply through my heart that the alternative (never submitting any ideas or asking for anything) seemed sensible, even though the outcome was exactly what I dreaded, never being published or getting the mythical yarn support. So I decided before Christmas to just get over it and put out some ideas, hence the stocking pattern. Then I started working on another free pattern that I am really excited about, (I feel like it is important that Sidna's baby cap concept be out there, getting thought about and promoting garter stitch seamless shaping concepts, etc...) and thought I'd just shoot off an email to this new program I had heard about that might give yarn support and provide a convenient publishing venue. I am now of course feeling a bit of pressure (cannot believe how fast they responded!) so have put everything else on the back burner for the moment.

I am frantically going over tutorials on using open office's word processing and spreadsheet capabilities so I can organize and be somewhat professional about this pattern layout. So far Marnie's tutorial here has been helpful, and I will continue to struggle with text boxes and fonts and other things I would greatly prefer not to fiddle with. oh well. Unfortunately I have also spent some time finding out that (yet again) Inkscape is not going to work for me (my little net book screen can't even fit the menus apparently...) so the next several patterns I manage to cobble together are going to look somewhat primitive. (no one will pay attention to that, right? They will be stunned and amazed by the brilliant content I am sure... pfft.)

Rather than posting about new ideas or designs right now I think I'll just update about the process of getting this idea on paper/hard drive and what new and confounding issues I come across to fight with. Forcing myself to focus in this way is frustrating in it's own way of course. I woke up in the middle of the night unable to get back to sleep contemplating the fact that of course now I would find the backbone to work on publishing because last year I had a handful of decent ideas that would have been good to work on, but at this point I have too many to possibly organize in a functional way and find my mind so overflowing with new ones every few days I can barely jot down a sketch and note to myself to hopefully decipher someday. I know that this is some bizarre mental block on my part, as soon as I have less limited time I will be blank and completely uninspired to do anything useful. Luckily (do I really mean luckily?) with 2 little ones and another on the way "less limited time" is a long way off. I will just have to find some way to cope once the children find a way to play and educate themselves without my constant involvement. (wink)

No comments: